Friday, February 13, 2009

I believe in the sand beneath my toes

Today was long in a very short amount of time. Ballet teachers were verbally abusive yet, it's not hurtful..it's just old. The past five days most of us have pulled 12-hour shifts in the dance world so the level of sore is very high and the level of brain cells is very low. Meesh and I punked out early, choosing to discuss the patterns of life rather than the direction of our pelvic floors. I think we made the right choice. Yesterday, admist feverish rehearsals, I found out I'll be going to Maine for ACDF (the American College Dance Festival) to perform in March. I also got cast double for Dance Adelphi in easily the 2 most depressing and fun pieces coming out of our Department this year. Aaand I held open auditions referred to more commonly as 'playdates' for the smashing new peice coming out of the Dance Department's sarcastically-mouthed punk; me. Yes. That's a real reference. The freshman blew me away and we inserted a completely obvious Nate Cyphert allusion at the end of the first chorus phrase. Now despite protest from Brian Patrick I'm reading The Giver, simply because Jacob told me too, and discussing with AndreBaby whether I am human or zombie. I'll get back to you.

Yesterday I had a 2-hour break from rehearsals in which I used to clean the van with Nicky. Ezra needs a facial. I realized Nick's way of getting things done is severely different than most peoples, so I decided to pay attention and share his methods with you now:

First we stood in the van for a good 10-15 minutes just assessing the space. When we were done with this initial step, it was still a mess. Second we formed a garbage out of a grocery bag and collected all the crumples and wastes. Then we sat for 5 minutes, moved random things around for 5 minutes, and folded sleeping bags for 10. Finally, after much little kid whining from me, it was time for cleaning products. Nicky would only let me clean the insides of the windows, which forced me to go behind his back and ask Nate if I could also do the outsides, which later got me in trouble with Nick. Lol. Nicky does small tasks with a lot of intensity. Like vacuuming under the driver's seat. The vacuum sucked, which is ironic since it didnt suck up hardly anything at all, yet Nicky still contorted his tiny frame into an awkward deep clean position to apprehend as many particles as possible. Or like scrubbing the wheels. His legs fold up like a bird in flight and he just scrubs there, warning me to be ready with the hose since we don't wanna waste any time. Riiight. I was also scolded for standing in the line of spray, re-washing too many areas, and playing in the suds. I was accused for taking unpaid texting breaks (which was true) and for checking him out while he made the soap (which was half true). He was appauled when I had to leave to get a massage, saying getting the van clean was obviously more important and questioning my priorities. Overall I'd conclude that it's difficult to describe Nicky C. mannerisms rightly. The van is probably still grimy but there's candy in the Office. The windows are immaculate.


...E-Mart.
"Semi-Charmed Life" by: Third Eye Blind

1 comment: