Sunday, June 7, 2009

Flying with the Pilot (tc recording day 1)

My eyes opened so carefully this morning. They knew this day was here. June 6th. But before my head could think, my lungs expanded. Breathe.

What makes time stand still?

I think before Twitter people just appreciated the moment they were in. Before cameras they set their gaze upon their surroundings as long as possible to remember them for a lifetime. I haven't been to a recording since..well old Killingsworth days were enough for a while. Then Santo kinda made We Don't Have To Be Alone in a storage closet. Now in this setting...Pilot Studios in Boonton, NJ....my old nerves return and a strict attention must be in focus at all times so as to not repeat clumsy commotions. I was the one who broke Tomas' shelf ok! There it's out in the open now. Clumsy is my middle name. We can't have any of that here.

We walked up the first flight of wet wooden stairs and gazed up the rest as we waited for him to answer the door. Pilot Studios, I thought to myself...he's The Pilot?! I've listened to the solo project since I was 18 and needed mood music to write to. He's The Pilot! I turned to tell my best friend but got cut off. Rob Freeman opened the door.

"Hi, I'm Rob."

His ears. Most people would assume that upon meeting him, my favorite part about Rob Freeman would be his hair. But I like his ears. They hear things normal people can't. They hear things regular musicians don't. His sense of humor is...at arms length yet not always easy to grasp. I have all day to tune into it. I like his voice, quick comments, and blunt remarks; "That was awful." after Mike finishes an entire run of one of the new songs. He has unexpected mannerisms and wears a red hoodie that seems to me to define his status. He seems slighty surprised when Mike does something satisfactory and wastes no time getting to the work. I find most of him completely interesting, as I guess would be expected when one meets a new person. But I haven't met someone who intrigued me in a long time. I promised Nate I wouldn't write a lot, but I have to watch this producer character.

Nicky sits on the floor in some curious non-typical Nicky C outfit. He doesn't bother me, but he won't look at me either. Serves me right. He makes suggestions to Mike and Nate, which both surprises me and enchants my curiosity. Stevie sits on his computer also with different attire on and Nate demands to know what the hell he is wearing. Every once in a while he will reach over and rub either Nick or Nate inappropriately. His creepiness eases my tension; something familiar. Nate sits on his computer as well and Anthony sits with his arm around the back of me, chewing his nails and staring off into god knows what space. We all get kicked out when Mike starts recording bc too many bodies makes too much heat which makes Mikey sound bad. What did we do in the hours we spent on the other side of the wall? Drawing time. Nap time. Snack time. Therapy time. All the essentials. I had a great talk with Nicky C. Call it chance, call it luck, call it timing. I believe it had something to do with NateCyph's vocals pouring out from behind closed doors.

What is it about this place that makes it Pilot Studios, specifically?
- The little duck popping out of a hole in the aged brick wall.
- The claw lamp that leans over the living room area. Constantly shaking but not bendable. Steve and I tried.
- The wooden airplane that sits nicely placed on the glass end table. Not far from it, in a room like the cockpit, The Pilot.
- The 2 white doors; to the left Mr. Freeman, to the right, Mr. Booth.
- Rob's red sweatshirt.


The day ended all of a sudden but I wasn't sad. The car ride home entailed no music and Nathen bouncing off the walls. We would later hear that Colin had to give him a timeout.




The Mission:
Home
Mess
Taradactyl

How I Keep Them Straight:
the Woahs/"tell tell me anything"
Perfect/ "whole damn life"
"I'm alright."




...Ricky.

1 comment:

  1. you pushed in the chair when we administered cleaning assignments and it fell off the wall coincidently as you stood near it. i swear.

    ReplyDelete