Saturday, October 10, 2009

...And that's what I do it for

On a bad day, take a seat in Row 4 and let This Condition make you laugh till you cry. Works for me.

We're on our way to a show in New Jersey and first they fight about a smell. Who stepped in the death fruit that grows in Mike's front yard?! Not I, I know better. Touch them, kick them, or even look at them and you WILL instantly wreak of shit. Next they argue about Miley Cyrus' better looks: Does she look hott enough in the video for "Party in the USA" to make up for her cankles? The world may never agree. The first controversy I take part in is a discussion about Johnny Gomez of the Summer Set. I'll be damned if Nate gets his attentions too. It happens all the time in and out of venues. The boys I like...like to talk to Nate. Luckily, I adore him more than I ever will any of them. Mike says tonight I have to put up some pretty stiff competition if I want to have any chance. Thanks, bfg, you're so much help. I always thought I'd have to compete with the skinny gorgeous girls of the world, but my main concern is a saucy male singer.

"The brave may not live forever, but the scared do not live at all." It's paraphrased. I try my best to remember it when I'm somewhere where the Johnny Gomez's of the world are walking around. TJ, Rossi, and I were the lucky 3 taken to this free show in the quad at New Jersey Institute of Technology. This show - with the tour package of A Rocket To The Moon and The Summer Set - has capabilities. Possibilities, yes. Expectations, never. It's my secret to scene stamina. I'm excited, but chill. Composed.

I saw Nick Santino cross the street as our van strolled up for load in. I'd like to report that I took a deep breath and smiled smugly, totally keeping my cool...but that would be a complete lie. I fell off the seat in Row 4 and covered my mouth to filter the giggles.

What is it that makes us girls giggle over guys? Why do we spill over in smiles but still try to act all mysterious and sexy. Why don't they giggle over us? What do guys do when they have a crush? Do they write songs? The ones I know probably do. In basements and backseats of vans. Or U-Hauls.

After many occurrences; a stiff t-shirt, a wet green room, a loud kick drum, a disheartening comment, a cover song, 6 shout outs and a short circuit later, I was sitting on a park bench, side stage for A Rocket To The Moon's sound check and set. Those of you who have been living outside the parking lots of Long Island might have not heard me profess my adoration for Rocket, Nick, and especially their song Dakota, but they're definitely a favorite. You should just take my word for it and imagine the jitters as I watch them all from feet away. The new songs were sweet, the old ones sweeter, and as expected, a smile louder than any of the amplifiers. But no, not mine. Their lead singer's.

I did not talk to Nick Santino this evening. I ran into him, literally, and did keep up some worthy eye contact. But when I roped TJ into approaching Nick with me, I backed out of talking to him. Not many have seen the shy Terica and few expect me not to push boundaries. But tonight, one sight was enough.

The kids were gone and the vans were pulled around for load out. I watch Nick climb a grassy hill and tug at one huge road case. He pulled it past the bench I'd been sitting on and pushed off to ride it down the hill's sidewalk and across the quad. A certain Long Island band had me thinking that contracted musicians never lifted their own equipment. I smile to see a redhead with a red case. I smile to be mistaken. I guess he can make up his own words.

On the ride home, This Condition made me laugh to the point of tears. They sang "Angel" by Sarah McLachlan. Then they discussed her involvement in the animal cruelty commercial, claiming it was overly graphic and had ruined the song for them forever. First thing they agreed on all night.

What is it about boys that make me giggle? I don't know, but I'm sure when I finally figure it out, I'll be laughing from Row 4.






...Terica.
"She's Killing Me" by: A Rocket To The Moon
"The Boys You Do (Get Back At You)" by The Summer Set...just bc I cannot get it outta my head!

2 comments:

  1. I'm glad to see that even the great Ricky Martin has her trouble keeping cool while seeing Nick Santino. I have yet to appreciate the epitome of the redhead that he is in person.

    ReplyDelete
  2. he already saw you....you have to leave the bathroom and go talk to him now. oops. lol.
    and why DO we get the giggles? oh i know! ill do a thesis paper about it one day and then we'll HAVE to do research involving boys. thoughts?

    ReplyDelete