Saturday, October 3, 2009

This could be the rush you're waiting for.

I woke up this morning when it was still dark out. I was about to roll over and go back to sleep when I realized it was near lunch and my hair was over my eyes. C'est la Scene.

Things. They never go as planned. In my extensive research I have found plans that go right in the beginning usually fall out in the end and plans that fail in the beginning...usually turn out great by bedtime. My Friday night, take 2.

Following the gallant JStar event, my arms and legs were heavy with disappointment. Not, of course, from any short comings of the mystifying mistress. No, my disappointment was in the fact that a few words from a head of pink and orange could make me feel better than my friends could. That I needed to fake a smile on a night with so many options like this. I made a phone call that knocked me farther down than I had been pre-signing line and soon my disappointment reached my eyes. I took my poster and I to the car.

One tragic text war and 5 very loud songs later I was parked outside Broadway mall. I was late but a mess. An unpresentable mess. Then, one new text message. An incentive. I fixed my makeup.

Inside there were 3 Grandma's making their presence known. In plush track suits and short cuts styled to a tee...they were pushing young scene jerks out of the way so they could see their grandson. I liked the grannys, they were badass. After talking to the guitarist I still don't understand whose Grandma was there and whose wasn't. But shawty in the black said she was wanted to see the drummer and I wasn't about to cross her. Yes, the kids were squinting and elderly were singing. I was at a Big City Lights show.

It was turning out to be BCL vs. The Fire Marshal as Hot Topic employees cut off capacity and turned people away at the door. I started to wonder if we were dealing with Broadway Mall or Ozone Entertainment when not even Mrs. BigCityJustin was allowed in. Good guys always win in the end though. At least in my blog they do. I would like to say that Big City Lights won over the dilemma with sweetly delivered smooth talk... but I kinda think they just decided to play 2 sets and everyone went along with it.

Their first set was enjoyable, despite yes, awkward quietness in the crowd and The Singer's babbling between song banter. It was cute, and I hardly think anyone minded. Except for MattInColor, who had to remind him to, "Playyy your songs!" I felt a small smile.

@thisisricky Right where I should be.

It didn't matter what they played (although Popular Demand is both mine and AntInColor's favorite). It didn't even really matter how they sounded. There were 4 boys and 4 instruments in front of me and there was a time when that alone would've fixed anything going on with me. When did I start underestimating the sight of a singer with a guitar? The scene girl came after the singer. Some might say.


My things for tonight aren't going as planned. I have a +1 to the Relient K show at the Donkey, but. I just can't seem to hold onto a 1. Yet I feel shows like this won't be around forever and hair like mine really shouldn't go to waste. So hurry up...get outta bed. Break the rules before something goes the way it's supposed to.





...Ricky.
"Turn The Knife" by: Big City Lights

No comments:

Post a Comment