Monday, April 13, 2009

Epicness is my Cutest Quality (weekend part 2)

Score 24 Practice:
Maybe it's that it's been a whole week since I've been to a show. Maybe it's that last night I actually hung out with someone not of the music genre. Maybe it's just that this music makes the blood in my veins smile.

"I'll make your summer so regrettable" The lighting is one row of fluorescent lights and the only other illumination comes from the tiny red glow on their amps, but it is enough to see these paragraphs unfold. Band boys let it all hang out; all their flaws, all their emotions. I like seeing the grunge up close, it's infectious. And I feel pretty sickened with smirks in this room right now. Seeing band boys on non-show days is even more interesting to me than watching them work a venue. Their attire isn't as crisp, not as matchable to lights and staring games. I like how they wear old skinnys and awkward thermals. I like how they save boxer briefs for appearances and dont care that off-day boxers are less graceful. I like how they don't do their hair and it looks better than it does when they do. I like how they try to hold my attention regardless of all of this. After every song or whenever it's quiet enough to hear himself really, Rob makes some sort of gasping sex noise into the microphone. He sings the verses in X-chromosome favored pitches and wiggles retardedly every chance he gets. Yet however goofy, there's something that makes it hott rather than annoying. Maybe its the gadget he holds in his arms. I feel so impaired around them and the amps they plug into. And I hate when he winks at me too, I get thrown off and definitely in a noticeable way. Yet i love how everything in front of me makes sense; Paul sipping coffee in between songs, Jay sitting on an amp looking down as he plays, Ryan wearing no shoes and gym shorts, Rob...being Rob. They seriously attempt to play one of their songs backwards, and then spend 10 minutes re-writing it to sound like The Beatles. I've been around a lot of seriousness lately; member in and outs, secrets, technical issues, tour paperwork, but Score brings this life back to its purest form. This music they're playing in front of me doesn't bleed, it breathes. It laughs. How could Jay say it wasn't different from a tC or stereo practice? Paul is dancing like a Russian? It is all the difference. This band is good for Jay, they play to play, not to get famous or to get laid. Maybe a little to get laid.

I get a lot of attention in this practice, and I'm not sure of what to do with it. Its actually preferred that I don't keep quiet, which throws me off. Rob sings his parts, Joey's old parts, Paul's parts, and parts that were never even written. Ryan is just good. So very good. If Paul wasn't at least somewhat serious, they'd get nothing done. They'd just watch Rob laugh at himself. They pick up playing Coheed and Cambria's "Welcome Home," all parts just suddenly falling into place. It sounds like it's their song to practice. I'm impressed, potentially even turned on...then Rob starts screaming operatically into the mic aaand we're back to Score 24 practice lol. I've already started not answering texts from those pursuers of the non-musical state, only proving that I am a scene girl at heart as well as in dress. So to answer my own mental question of where the battle royale comes in this time around, it's here; guy versus all my band boy adventures. Poor kid doesn't stand a chance.

Because all games bear excitement and the best life is the random one, Jay and I left Score 24 practice only to weasle out of plans and drive to the Broadway Mall for Set In Color's Hot Topic set. Turns out everyone who swore they wouldn't come showed up anyways, not because we like Set In Color or because we particularly wanted to see certain members of it, but because we wanted to be amongst ourselves and this is where the scene was tonight. I didn't write about the set or the signing, I didn't know how to honestly without offending new In Color's that I care about. I will say that I had fun with Sometimes Jamie, and loved hearing whispers about the group of band boys I belonged to but was not standing with. Yeah, I know that's Mike from This Condition, and I've heard mention of Stereo Skyline. My heart felt sick but I could stomach seeing Villani sign an ipod and just laughed out of unexpectancy at the bassist's wink. We saw the food court and the Easter Bunny with Score, and heard horrifically detailed Jerry Parking tour stories before going separate ways.

With Jay at the wheel and Mike's kickass playlist in the speakers, we somehow found SOK's bedroom. After brief analysis there, we set out for food. However, we got hungry and stopped for a snack on the way to food, thus imbibing slurpees as our second 7Eleven meal of the day. Turns out the food we actually got to was a bowl of pretzels in Seaford at some costume party we found DocRock (copyright SOK) at. I'm not really sure how we got there, bc I looked backwards and fell in and out of naps the whole night, but I do know there was one dude totally lovin his DJing skillz and singing loudly to pretty much no one but himself. Legendary. We @reliped too much and tweeted our fingers off, then got back in the car and I don't know...looped Long Island again? I only know that that playlist was great.

After realizing I was starving and stopping for snack #3 at 7Eleven, I got home at 3am to wake up at 5am and drive to Connecticut for makeshift Easter. Count 'em; hours slept, about 2.

No comments:

Post a Comment